Other Involvements

Melbourne Writers Festival

Sessions Chairperson, Schools’ Program, 2010 – 2012

One of the best things about living in Melbourne is the annual Writers Festival. The Schools Program offers students the chance to get up close to some of their favourite authors and find out about their writing and their inspirations. For three years I’ve had the privilege of hosting sessions for some of Australia’s best children’s authors.

2010 Sessions – Andy Griffiths, James Roy, Jackie French

2011 Sessions – Sally Rippin, Michael Pankridge

2012 Session – Jackie French

Coordinator, Carlton High School Reunion,  2010

Schools are not only learning institutions but touchstones for us once we have graduated. Our high school peers understand us because they were there in our formative years and continue to be important even if we see them only rarely.

I may live in another hemisphere but by making use of Web 2.0 tools such as Facebook for asynchronous committee meetings, Google Docs for databases and Wikispaces for promotion (plus a fantastic team of people) we were able to contact and reunite with nearly half our graduating class during the North American summer.

group shot 4

Warrandyte Writers’ Group

Project co-ordinator, “Let Me Paint You a Story” exhibition, 2009

In 2009, my writing group and my old painting group united to create a multi-media event at the Eltham Library Community Gallery entitled “Let Me Paint You a Story”. Artists created pieces based on a book and writers responded to the artworks not knowing which books they were based on. Writers performed their works at the launch of the exhibition and the groups collaborated to produce and publish a limited edition book of the works.

reading

Bookcrossing.com

General Committee Member, National Bookcrossing Convention, 2007

Bookcrossing is a celebration of literature and a way to reconnect people with books and a love of reading.I’ve been an active member of Bookcrossing since 2004 and have released or passed on well over 500 books.

In 2007, I joined the organising committee for the National Bookcrossing Convention, held in Melbourne. Below is an animoto I put together after the events as a way to commemorate the fun and friendships made over the weekend. If you haven’t heard of bookcrossing you can find out more on the website

www.bookcrossing.com

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com